Low self-esteem can cause a vicious cycle which makes you feel worse and worse.
Feeling badly about yourself can lead you to feel unmotivated to change what is
making you feel down in the first place.
If you don’t change the root cause of your negative feelings, then your self-esteem takes an even deeper dive.
This cycle of negativity can be damaging, but there are things that you can do to
break the cycle.
Try these techniques to give your self-esteem a boost:
- Learn and master a new skill. When you learn a new skill and become good at
it, your confidence will no doubt grow. This is especially true if the skill benefits
something you already do.
- Make a list of all of your accomplishments. It can be easy to forget all of the
things you’ve achieved in your lifetime. So, make a list of these
accomplishments, and from time to time, read the list to remind yourself of
them. You’ll feel much better about yourself.
- Do something creative. Being creative helps to stimulate your brain, and the
more use your brain gets the bigger the benefits. If you combine creativity with
trying something new, even more benefits will be achieved.
- Set values for your life. What are your values? Does your current lifestyle
reflect these values? If it doesn’t, take action to make the necessary changes.
Learning who you are and what you stand for, and then living these values, will
increase your confidence.
- Think positive. Instead of thinking negatively when faced with a difficult task, think about it as a challenge that you can overcome. Think positively, consider what you can learn from the experience, and be proud of yourself once you’ve accomplished it.
- Stretch your comfort zone. Try new things. Go to new places. Meet new
people. As a result, you’ll see your confidence grow.
- Help someone. When you help someone else, you’ll feel a sense of achievement
and enjoy higher self-esteem.
- Try to heal your past. Past issues or drama can prevent you from moving on
and growing as a person. You may want to speak to a trained counselor to talk
through any issues you may have.
- Avoid worrying about what others think. The one person whose opinion of you
matters is you! Do what you feel is best, feel confident that you did your best,
and your self-esteem will soar.
- Read something inspirational. Stories of others who have overcome issues or
dire situations and gone on to lead successful lives can inspire you to do the
same. Self-help content can inspire you to reach for the stars and help you get
there. Such inspiration also makes you feel optimistic and better about yourself.
- Stay away from negative people. There will be people in your life who always
seem to put you down and leave you feeling badly about yourself. It may be best
to let them go. Instead, try to surround yourself with positive people who will
lift you up and make you feel good about yourself.
- Take care of your appearance. When you look after yourself, you are going to
feel good about yourself too.
- Focus on what you can change. Some things in life are out of our control.
Focus your energy on the things you can control, and you’ll happily find that you
can change your life for the better.
Once you start to incorporate some of these tips into your daily life, your self-esteem
will start to grow. It may not happen overnight, but with time you will certainly see an
How have you struggled with self-esteem issues in the past? Comment below.
Be sure to subscribe to this blog so that you never miss tips to help you be your best./**/